Summers can get hot in the Amarillo area, even downright unbearable, especially if your air conditioner has broken down. Although air conditioners are pretty tough systems, there are a few common AC problems that can bring the system to a halt. With following guide, you may be able to identify the cause of the problem and fix it yourself if it’s minor enough.
Common Air Conditioner Problems
- General maintenance issues: Many of the common AC problems, including inadequate cooling and problems keeping the system running, can be traced back to a lack of proper maintenance. Have an HVAC contractor inspect the system at least once a year and have all the routine maintenance done, including cleaning the coils, lubricating moving parts and checking the refrigerant levels. Not only will this keep the system running efficiently, but it will also allow the HVAC tech to spot any potential issues and repair them before they become major problems.
- System won’t turn on: Make sure none of the breakers are tripped, and shut the systems breakers off for five minutes before turning it back on. If that doesn’t work, check other safety systems, such as the external disconnect and the compressor’s high limit switch, and reset them, if necessary.
- Inadequate cooling: Make sure none of the air vents or returns are blocked, which can cause poor airflow in the system and even cause the system to freeze up. Check the air filter, and clean or replace it if necessary. Check the indoor and outdoor coils and have them cleaned if they’re clogged with dirt or debris, which can cause poor heat transfer into and out of the coils.
- Musty smell: Clean the condensate drain and the drain pan. If this becomes clogged, bacteria can grow, creating odors and potential health problems, and the system may shut down.
- Refrigerant leaks: Shut the AC off and have a contractor repair the system immediately.
For more information about common air conditioner problems and AC trouble shooting tips, talk to our experts at Grizzle Heating & Air. We serve Amarillo, Canyon, Hereford and the surrounding communities.
Image Provided by Shutterstock.com