So you’ve decided now’s the perfect time for installing a new central A/C. Maybe over the summer you realized that your window units just didn’t cut it, or your old system wasn’t working quite as well as it used to. The energy bill may be higher than in years past, or more repairs than normal were needed. Either way, having your revelation at the end of summer is great, because fall is actually the perfect time for purchasing a new HVAC unit.
Why Is Fall Prime Time for a New A/C?
You probably know about purchasing seasons for other things, like buying candy the day after Halloween and Valentine’s Day, but who thinks about the best time to upgrade an HVAC system? As it turns out, fall is prime time for getting the best deals on heating and cooling systems, as well as their installation. This is partly due to the brutal heat of Texas summer, when HVAC systems are more likely to be run into the ground with the strain of trying to keep homes comfortable. When something breaks, people need it fixed quickly, and HVAC contractors are kept busy in order to keep up with the demand.
When the cooler autumn air arrives, both air conditioners and HVAC contractors finally get a break. This is the ideal time for installing a new central A/C system, because many companies are running deals in hopes of drumming up more business in the slower season. By the time winter rolls around, HVAC companies will be back in business keeping up with broken heaters and run down furnaces.
Signs That Your HVAC System Is on Its Last Leg
If you’re experiencing any of these signs, your heating and cooling system is trying to tell you that it’s time to find a replacement:
- Strange odors – If you’re smelling something weird coming from the vents or the unit itself, especially if it smells like something is burning.
- Increased maintenance – If you find yourself calling the repairman more and more frequently, it may be less expensive in the long run to just replace the system.
- Uneven heating or cooling – If some rooms aren’t getting the same attention they used to, it’s an indication that the unit isn’t working properly anymore.
- Ice developing on the coils of heat pumps.
- Age – Most systems were built to last between 10 and 15 years. If yours is older than that, it’s time to consider replacing it. Though there will be an initial investment, the newer, energy efficient models will pay for themselves in time through decreased power and maintenance bills.
Don’t Wait Until It Breaks
One great reason to upgrade an HVAC system in the fall is the fact that your home can handle the downtime while the outdoor weather is perfect. Installing a new central A/C unit because yours has died in the thick of summer or the chill of winter is simply not ideal. And with the high demand for service during that time, it could mean that you would have to wait even longer than usual for a contractor to get to you, evaluate the problem, order a new unit, and then install it.
If you feel like the time is about right to upgrade your aging, out of date system, start planning now. Do some research on the right kind of heating and cooling system for your home and lifestyle, and be sure to keep your eyes open for seasonal deals.
Help for Going Green
While you’re deciding what kind of system would work perfectly for your home, don’t forget to take a look at what kind of monetary help you may be eligible for through both the local and federal government. Since they’re eager to help families go green, they have extended offers to homeowners in the form of tax credits and incentives if energy efficient appliances are being purchased.
For more information about installing a new central A/C for your Amarillo home this fall, or for other home comfort concerns, contact Grizzle Heating & Air today.
Image Provided by Shutterstock.com